Supporting Your Eye Health
With work and life looking different right now, screen time is at an all-time high. Our eyes take in a considerable amount of information every day and with the added strain of increased screen time, there are many things we can do to protect them!
Did you know? Eyesight is so important that it takes up more than 50% of the brain’s functionality!1
There are a number of nutrients that support overall eye health that can be taken both in supplement form as well as through our diet.
- Omega 3 fatty acids, DHA specifically for dry eye (found in fish or algae)2,4
- Vitamin A for retina health (found in orange coloured vegetables)3
- Vitamin C to protect eyes from damage (found in citrus, berries, tomatoes & peppers)3
- Antioxidants like Lutein & Zeaxanthin to protect retina (found in leafy green veggies)3
In addition to supporting our eyes with nutrients, we can also support our eyes practically by following a few simple tips:
- Limit screen time during the day and into the evening
- Take regular breaks from looking at a screen, every 20 minutes focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds
- Wear sunglasses when outdoors to protect eyes
- Get regular eye exams to rule out vision problems or disease
- Avoid smoking as it is a major contributor to eye related health issues
In today’s modern world, many people are looking at digital devices, such as cell phones, tablets, and computers, for hours each day. These devices expose your eyes to high levels of blue light, which is known to cause eye strain, headaches, and disruptions in your body’s sleep cycle. To counter these harmful effects and promote vision health, wear blue light blocking glasses when using your devices. These glasses are designed to filter out the blue-violet rays that are emitted from digital screens, making it possible to remain engaged in your digital work without the side effects of blue light affecting your eyes.
Ultimately, supporting the health of your eyes is the same as supporting any other part of your body—it all boils down to living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Whether your eyes are bothering you now or not, consider adopting the above-mentioned tips as habits in your life. These steps might seem small, but they can make a big impact when it comes to protecting your eyes and helping you see the world clearly.