Financial Assistance

Please note the current processing timeline for applications is up to 12 weeks from date of submission.
What funding opportunities does Unison offer?

Unison offers two (2) financial assistance programs, the Live Music Workers Fund for independent, self-employed live music performance workers, and the Industry Assistance Fund for all other music industry professionals.

What Unison’s financial assistance programs can provide

Unison’s Financial Assistance Programs exist to help music industry professionals with basic living expenses in times of crisis. Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic our program has assisted thousands of music industry professionals with financial support to help with critical expenses – groceries, shelter (rent), and medical expenses.

What Unison’s financial assistance programs cannot provide

Unison’s Financial Assistance Programs should be seen as short-term assistance with basic living expenses. Unison does not provide financial assistance for business related expenses. If you are looking for work related assistance, please reach out to your local provincial music association for guidance on what funding is available both provincially and nationally.

What makes me eligible to apply for financial assistance?

Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, you worked primarily in the music industry for at least two consecutive years and earned at least 55% of your income from that work.

What’s the difference between registering and applying for financial assistance?

Registering simply gives you access to our free counselling & health solution services and signs you up to our mailing list. 

Applying for assistance is a separate step that requires you to meet specific eligibility requirements and fill out additional information specific to submitting an application for financial assistance.

If you are an existing member of Unison, please register for the new system again.

How much can I get from Unison?

If your application is approved, you will receive a payment of $2,500 CAD.

How many times can I apply?

You can apply only once to the Live Music Workers Fund. You can apply more than once to the Industry Assistance Fund, although multiple applications from the same applicant will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Is financial assistance available to music workers across all provinces in Canada?

Unison’s Industry Assistance Fund is available to all Canadian residents working in music.

Unison’s Live Music Workers Fund, made possible by the Government of Canada, is available to all Canadian residents except those who reside in Quebec. Quebec residents seeking funds from this program should reach out to Fondation des artistes to apply.

Will financial assistance from Unison affect my eligibility for other government programs?

Your receipt of any government funding at any level does not affect your eligibility for Unison’s financial assistance, and acceptance of Unison financial assistance does not affect your eligibility to access government funding at any level.

 Where do I start?
  1. You can start by becoming a Unison member. Register here
  2. Once you’ve received an email confirming your registration, you can then login to the online portal to start your application process
How do I apply?

For step-by-step instructions see our Application Details page.

Which of the two programs should I apply for?


You should apply for the Live Music Workers Fund if you are an independent, self-employed live music worker who lives outside Quebec and identifies their primary occupation in the music community as one or more of the following: 

Artist Manager
Booking Agent
Concert Photographer
Concert Recording Engineer
Drag Performers
Event Production/Festival Staff
Production Company Staff
Publicist/Public Relations
Retail Staff
Tour Management/Operator
Talent Buyer
Venue Staff

If you reside in Quebec, please contact Fondation des artistes for access to this government funding.


You should apply for the Industry Assistance Fund if you do not meet the eligibility criteria for the Live Music Workers Fund, but still identify as a Music Industry professional, including (but not limited to):            

Graphic Artist
Trade Publication
Publicist/Public Relations
Music Educator
Music Photographer
Record Company
Recording Studio
Recording Engineer
Retail Staff (Instruments & Supplies)