Posted by: Kathryn Hummel
We’re all trying to do our best to stay home and stay safe, but with these new changes in routine also comes the need to find a way to create a realistic health and wellness plan. We’ve compiled some important information about how you can still incorporate movement into your new daily routine and still stay safe doing so.
We’re all becoming familiar with the term physical distancing and here’s what Health Canada suggests to do in order to take the right precautions, this means making changes in your everyday routines in order to minimize close contact with others, including: avoiding crowded places and non-essential gatherings, avoiding common greetings, such as handshakes, limiting contact with people at higher risk (e.g. older adults and those in poor health) and keeping a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others, as much as possible.
In order to help with a little motivation and to bring our music community virtually together, we’ve teamed up once again with our friends at Fit On Tour who’ve comprised a few things to look forward to this month.
FOT announced a virtual run/walk club through the month of April and will be running Yoga live sessions in conjunction with @backline.care on IGTV every Saturday.
You may be asking yourself, why? Therefore here’s a few tips and reasons why we’ve compiled this list and how you can go about getting movement in your day safely.
- To keep each other moving, and accountable through the COVID-19 crisis
- Change up your environment
- Help provide mental clarity
- To help raise money for the Spotify Music Relief Fund
HOW DOES THE RUN/WALK CLUB WORK?
- Fit On Tour run club members will be asked to pledge $1 for every 1 run or walk they complete through April. Our target is 20 runs or walks per person. Spotify will match all donations up to $10million USD.
- Download a running app of your choice to track your walks/runs. We recommend joining Strava where you can become a member of the Fit On Tour Run Club
- Upload a photo of your run or walk to social media (stories, or grid), and tag @fitontour / #SpotifyMusicRelief to track your progress throughout the weeks with the community. (example: Just completed Run 9 of 20 with the @fitontour virtual run club supporting #spotifymusicrelief… 11 more to go!)
- At the end of April, tally up all of your runs/walks from the month and make a $1 donation per activity to Spotify Music Relief Fund HERE.
Join Backline and Fit On Tour for a weekly LIVE yoga session with Justine Duran every Saturday at 10:30am PST / 1:30pm EST for the music community. With all of the uncertainty, and chaos in the world it is important to keep a sense of community, movement, and accountability in your routine.
Join them weekly as Justine guides you through a light, fun, and relaxing movement session consisting of slow flow, vinyasa and ashtanga yoga-style movements.
Don’t know what that means?! That’s okay. Come join with an open mind + find out! All level-friendly, and everyone welcome.